The Freedom Center is committed to pluralistic discussion of the philosophy of freedom, including interdisciplinary exchange regarding the social conditions of freedom. We aim to promote the understanding and appreciation of the ideals of freedom and responsibility, and their realization in institutional form along four dimensions: published research, undergraduate education, graduate education, and community outreach.
The Freedom Center exists to facilitate critical thinking about freedom and responsibility, and about justice and the good society. Our research uses evidence from the natural and social sciences to understand and evaluate the social and political institutions necessary to realizing human freedom.
Our output takes two main forms:
- Our written work engages peers and future generations.
- Center faculty regularly publish original research. Visit the individual profile pages to learn more.
- The Freedom Center hosts on-going “FC Talks” that test-drive emerging scholarship and enable scholars to exchange information. Visit our calendar to see all Freedom Center events.
- The Center also hosts Research Professors in diverse fields from around the world. You can learn more about recent visiting professors here.
- We mentor doctoral students, preparing them to become a new generation of scholars and teachers. You can learn more about recent Freedom Center fellows here. You can also learn about recent alumni here.
- Office of Research, Innovation, and Impact
- Social Philosophy and Policy
- Ethics, Economics, and Entrepreneurship
- Take Charge Today